Saturday, May 31, 2008

Macs work out of the box... so do zelPCs

My bums itching at home in KL.

I'm learning to cook - previously useful for avoiding the buttery in Cambridge, now moot considering the compulsory meal plan in Carnegie Mellon, iron clothes, read up on books ... and the like...

But I know that as I lifted my pencil on the 20th of November 2007, I heaved a sigh of relief that it would be the last exam I would have to sit for about a year. Granted that 4 months of research in IMRE made the year worthwhile, I figured that I'm bored from bumming around. Nuff said. And that took one month! Apparently under a similar experiment, nitroglycerin loses stability after a week of unemployment. Guess I'm patient enough then.

Earlier this year, I made an emergency computer after the Whitebox computer bought in 2004 refused to resume from Hibernation. Yes folks, 10 pushes under my lovely 'supervision' and that stinking white old cow refuse to wake up from its terminal sleep. So considering the fact that THAT NASTY COMPUTER had sprung surprise after surprise on my previous trips to KL, (How 'bout a laundry list of exhausted motherboard CMOS battery, a blown power supply etc.) I set myself the task of building one MYSELF to replace it.

It worked.

It would have worked a lot better if I had an original Windows XP CD (our old printer had no Vista driver available, so my new Vista installation just collected dust). With all the hardware installation, the driver overlaps soon started crippling the computer's ability to function. Hence it is a little slow when booting up. Apart from that, it works great.

What's inside:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 (2.66 GHz, 6MB L2 cache, 1333MHz FSB)
Coolermaster Hyper TX2 CPU cooler
OCZ Freeze Thermal Grease
2GB Cosair XMS2 DDR2-800 RAM (5-5-5-18 latency)
320 GB Seagate HDD
Abit IP-35E motherboard
Sapphire Radeon HD 3850 (256MB GDDR3 RAM)
Samsung 20x IDE DVDRW drive
Coolermaster Centurion 5 ATX Tower Casing with side transparent window
Coolermaster Extreme Power 380W (real power, not like the lousy rubbish they stuff in cheap OEM computers. Lest you think it won't blow up, look back a few lines.)
Windows Vista Home Premium (OEM 32 bit edition)

sounds good.. I'm trying to decide if I should make some to sell on Ebay. Or If you like what you see here, feel free to offer a price for my machine. Or if you have a new desktop computer in mind and want to see what price I can quote vs. the big players like HP/Compaq/Acer/Dell etc... just reply to this post. I'll try to think of something to suit every need...

...sure beats bumming around at home and getting bored!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home