Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Me and my PC!

Sharp-eyed readers of my facebook profile may notice that I DID manage to install my Coolermaster Hyper TX2 CPU fan/heatpipe in the wrong direction! Nevertheless, thanks to its very efficient design, the processor temperature did not rise above 68 degrees C despite the fan pointing the wrong way and the airflow in the case being totally messed up. That figure already needed a specialized programme called Prime95 to achieve... because even my Need for Speed Carbon Game could not even fully stress out my processor. Thankfully the said processor can take up to 90 degrees C before frying...

Nevertheless facing the wrong way would mean that the fan would be fighting the opposing airflow from the case fan at the back of the computer. Will probably reduce the lifespan from the mean time between failure of 30,000 hours... besides the point of messing up the airflow inside the case...

Behold the sight of the processor sans cooler!





and sans motherboard...
...as I decide to have some fun with it... 





Front Side view. Note that while they assemble the chip in Malaysia, the actual core silicon is still done in US/Israel/Ireland...



The rear view.



Didn't know that I could write my initials with thermal paste. (It's just a continuation of O level physics, where the 65W of heat from my processor is conducted through the metal cover/heatspreader of the processor to the metal base of the cooling fan. The thermal paste helps conduction by filling in the microscopic air gaps between the two metal surfaces with a heat conducting material...) 



The Cooling fan/heatpipe back in place...



And the finished computer with the cables tidied... and most importantly, the fan pointing the RIGHT way...The maximum processor temperature is NOW 62 degrees C!!!
... any takers?

1 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Blogger Zhong Liang said...

smarter readers would have realized the Coolermaster Hyper TX2 is such a pig for my clumsy hands to install that I have gotten a better performance out of the Intel stock cooler.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home